Academic Reading

 I have just watched a video named “Academic Reading” from The University of Notre Dame Australia the video mentions how can we read academically and what should we do. The video said we are gonna have lots of reading and we need to learn efficiently and quickly and it mentioned some techniques for reading which are Skimming, scanning, and reading in detail. And we need to determine the usefulness of the text, we can do that by the cover, title, chapters, headings, or introductions. While doing that we need to use the techniques that we have learned before and we need to make our reading more manageable by breaking it into parts or setting goals 

Even though I found the information superficial. The video mentioned only how can we read academically but I felt like I needed a helpful guide so I have done some research on the Internet but first I thought “why is it so important?” and here are the results;

     1) To Exposure Different Viewpoints: Well the video didn't show up with this one but I think it's essential for understanding our main topic.

     2) Thinking About What We Already Know; I think this is significant too because it will help us to understand where are we on this topic, where should we look up other information, or what do we have more.

     3)Thinking About Our Reasons For Reading: The video kind of talked about that actually, our purpose in reading but I felt like it should be more detailed and specific so are we gonna use this text for the next essay our creating background info maybe we are preparing for discussion or else. We should have to know why are we reading 

Other than that I was wondering about struggles, I mean the video talked about optimistically like we had no problem about understanding but WE MIGHT DO. Speaking of myself the vocabulary memory is temporary for understanding the main idea so what are we gonna do if he had words we don't know yet 

I mean the answer is clear as day but I know something about learning new words, you should have learn other forms or synonyms and use them in a sentence however they didn't talk about that. On the other hand, answers bring more questions so what should we do after the reading part because we read them for a purpose, right? I think the powerful tip is developing an effective way to memorize the topic because we learn many things and here is what can you do:

      1) Create Mindmaps If You Need: summarise what you have learned and create them differently. It might be audio, a picture, or text.

      2) Evaluate What You Have Read: Discuss with yourself and check if you agree or disagree, conflict with the text, and make sure that you can explain the topic to a 5-year-old kid.

As many students know Academic Reading needs patience and hard work moreover it takes lots of time too, we should have done our tasks daily and find good resources. Being able to understand unfamiliar topics is important at the University, the video didn't help me tons but it sure did start the fire I could say it gave the basics of academic reading and made me search even more who knows maybe that's like the whole point.



RESOURCES: 

-Academic Reading video on LEARN platform 

-Strategies for Reading Academics on Uefap.com

-IELTS Reading Tips on www.ieltsadvantage.com






Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Summary of How to Answer Matching İnformation Question